Most of what i’ve been up to on the farm recently relates to biochar, but to keep this from becoming an all-biochar blog, here’s a bit about the garden.
I grew a patch of sunflowers this summer, planted mid-April. I needed to use row covers, to protect the seeds and sprouts from birds, until the plants are a few inches tall. It took 3 months for them to mature. At first i noticed that a lot of bees, and even butterflies, were interested in the flowers:
Soon after, i noticed cardinals feasting on the mature seeds, balancing on the tops of the head and pecking the seeds out, and shelling them right on the spot. That indicated they were ready for harvest, so i gathered a few for the chickens, then soon after, Deb harvested them all, dried them in the greenhouse and saved the biggest one for seed.