I spent the month of September 2011 back on the farm, getting it into shape and making batches of biochar. At the end of the month i took a truckload of the char down to Josiah’s biochar operation in Puna, where it was inoculated and ground up. Back at the farm, the living char was spread all over, especially in the tea field.
To date, there has only been two studies of biochar on tea that i know of: some Japanese work back in 1997-2003, and my own postings on this blog. Today, i heard of a third study: Using Biochar to Improve Soil Health and Leaf Production at Tea Plantations in Sri Lanka. It’s early, but very positive, just as with the studies here and in Japan.